Date: Mar 30, 2013 8:36 AM
Author: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

> People often glimpse things intuitively that they can't really
> articulate, and then they mix their intuitions in with their
> religious beliefs, yielding something that outsiders find
> flabbergasting.
>
> The intuition, which has been articulated by many first rate
> mathematicians at least since Poincare', is that we should not try
> to talk about things that we can't actually talk about. Cantorian
> set theory, which purports to prove that there exist uncountable
> sets (and hence sets containing more things than we can actually
> talk about) is then seen as nonsense on an intuitive level.

Similarly, there are more particles in the universe than we can talk
about (since there is no naming scheme which would allow us to express
the name of every such particle in this finite and impermanent
universe).

Consequently, we shouldn't talk about particles in the universe.

That's fine reasoning!

--
"He isn't capable of actually defining his terms, or axiomatizing
them, or deriving consequences from them. The kindest course of action