Date: Mar 30, 2013 10:38 PM
Author: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

In <>, on 03/30/2013
at 12:15 AM, fom <> said:

>If one wishes to argue that "real" space is curved
>but that the curvature is so slight as to be negligible,

That would be Physics rather than Mathematics.

>If the sensible impressions relate to each other in the Euclidean
>sense, that is precisely Kant's thesis.

"Immanuel Kant argued that there is only one, absolute, geometry,
which is known to be true a priori by an inner faculty of mind:
Euclidean geometry was synthetic a priori.[3]"

"The philosopher Immanuel Kant's treatment of human knowledge had a
special role for geometry. It was his prime example of synthetic a
priori knowledge; not derived from the senses nor deduced through
logic - our knowledge of space was a truth that we were born with."

That doesn't sound like a pragmatic appeal to observation.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT <>

reply to