Date: Apr 2, 2013 12:06 AM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On 4/1/2013 9:18 PM, david petry wrote:
> On Monday, April 1, 2013 3:00:17 PM UTC-7, fom wrote:
>> On 4/1/2013 3:43 PM, david petry wrote:
>
>>> The mathematicians chose to give up falsifiability on a whim. Nothing
>> > of value to society has come from that choice.

>> And what social value has come of your choice to harass
>> and demean others in favor of proposing a legitimate defense of
>> your statements?

> First of all, I do believe that accepting falsifiability as part
> of the underlying logic of mathematics would have truly enormous
> benefits for society.
>
> Second, for a moment, I felt really bad about harassing and demeaning
> others. So I looked at every article I have posted in this thread.
> You are a disgusting liar.

Ok. Fair enough. There is something I have
done to anger you. That is not surprising.

About what have I lied? In spite of the sincerity
of your beliefs, your remarks to others have been
short retorts claiming "superior views", telling
others they are not qualified to be in this discussion,
and peppered with appeals to authority. Perhaps you
do not consider that behavior to be demeaning toward
others. Ok.

The closest you have come to a coherent debate is the
link that you posted. Of those who have replied to
this thread, I believe I am the only one who took the
time to extract statements and provide counter-arguments
to the best of my ability.

I am not particularly pleased with the first one since
it involved replying to a certain "enthusiasm" for a
kind of logic that I do not view as foundational when
it comes to mathematics. It also involved replying
to a certain "faith" in future science that I find
misguided. So it had been more of a reaction than
a response.

But, in the others I made the effort to deliberate
thoughtfully about what you had said. I received
no responses except for when I was searching for a
document that you hoped would reinforce your appeals
to authority.

I am not going to dig around for the other thread
you started in which you said that you began the
thread, in part, with the hope of hearing more about
my disagreements with the mathematical community.
Well, are you starting these threads for a productive
discourse or are you starting these threads with
hidden agendas? When I referred to harrassment
and cowardly behavior it is because I perceive it
to be the latter. You see it otherwise. Ok

Are you calling me a liar because I have misinterpreted
your acts?