Date: Apr 4, 2013 4:30 PM
Author: Virgil
Subject: Re: Matheology � 224

In article
<e5bc7f05-04dc-4c06-a5b9-49a5ed1a7860@y14g2000vbk.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 4 Apr., 19:45, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > And you believe that, therefore, always elements must exists which in
> > > principle are subject to induction but in fact are not subjected to
> > > induction?

> > Nope, just that you can have a collection where everything in the
> > collection
> > is subject to induction, but where the collection itself is not
> > subject to
> > induction.

> If the collection is something else than all its elements, then you
> may be right.

A statement about the members of a set may not be true when referring to
the set itslef. A set of even integers is not itself an even integer.

WM has a long and disreputable history of being unable to distinguish
properties of a set from the properties of its members, or even between
the set itself and its members.

> Show this "else". In fact, an actually infinite set must
> constitute such a thing that cannot be removed when every finite set
> of elements is removed.

As soon as any member is removed, one no longer has the same set.

So an infinite set remains infinite when any one finite subset is
removed from it, but not when EVERY finite subset has been removed from
it as WM's claim implies.