Date: Apr 7, 2013 8:52 PM
Author: David Petry
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:32:39 PM UTC-7, Rotwang wrote:

> Lest anyone assume that Petry actually knows what he's talking about,
> it's worth mentioning that many applied mathematicians do, in fact, make
> liberal use of Cantorian set theory.

"those of us who work in probability theory or any other area of applied mathematics have a right to demand that this disease [Cantorian set theory] be quarantined and kept out of our field" (From "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science" by E. T. Jaynes)

"The pure mathematician can do what he pleases, but the applied mathematician must be at least partially sane." (J. Willard Gibbs)