Date: Apr 12, 2013 2:50 PM
Author: Regina Stasiak
Subject: What the heck happened to Trigonometry in the Common Core??!!

I don't know how to get someone to listen to me (us.)  When is this madness going to stop with non-math educators in control of setting up this curriculum?!  If you look at the new PARCC (which I understand is not the true Common Core picture but supposedly pretty close) guidelines, Trigonometry has now gone from 40 days total over 4 years (which is absurd to begin with) to 35 days??!!

How do you expect any STEM progress to be made in NYS, let alone this country, with 35 days of trig scheduled??!! (I understand this is the minimum but still....the first years will be minimal.)

Doesn't PARCC stand for "Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers?"

I know for a fact my daughter (a freshman in Engineering at University of Buffalo) does nothing but Calculus/Physics/Engineering all day long......and it's nothing but some form of trig application all day long. Thank God she's out of high school before this train wreck happens.

At our last inservice day (I have been teaching in NYS for 30 years), I asked our superintendent, principal, and director of curriculum (who all happened to be meeting with our high school math department that day) if they understood that the way we are implementing the common core is ethically and morally wrong for the kids of NYS...their response was "yes."

Regina Stasiak
Clarence HS Math Department

From: EZseller@nasboces.org<mailto:EZseller@nasboces.org>
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Subject: RE: Differences in the curriculum
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:25:10 +0000
Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards organizes the high school mathematics standards into grade-by-grade courses. NYSED had indicated that they chose the traditional path. At another time it was indicated that NYSED would be following the PARCC frameworks. The frameworks for the high school courses are being developed.

http://www.parcconline.org/mcf/mathematics/high-school-standards-analysis

From: eet314@gmail.com<mailto:eet314@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:21:09 -0400
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Gene, I think your comment sums up what I am actually looking for. (Standards that are specific for each course!)
"actually creating a standard that is specific for each course (which would have been the most helpful choice)."
I work in a very small school middle school (I am the only teacher for Integrated Algebra in the middle school) and would love to see the specific standards that others are using.
If anyone is willing to share theirs with me I would be so appreciative!!!

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Gene Jordan <gjordan@btboces.org<mailto:gjordan@btboces.org>> wrote:
I was slowly working on that as well, and for me the hard part of the new Algebra curriculum is distinguishing the assessment limits for those dual-standards that are taught in both courses. The document linked has that information laid out in the clearest way, short of actually creating a standard that is specific for each course (which would have been the most helpful choice).

There are teachers in my BOCES who are working on HS curricula that match the "modules" sequence and the PARCC's focus areas. Are other districts/BOCES working on this?
http://engageny.org/sites/default/files/resource/attachments/a_story_of_functions_currriculum_map_and_overview_9-12.pdf

~Gene Jordan

From: Elise Teitelbaum <eet314@gmail.com<mailto:eet314@gmail.com>>
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Date: 04/12/2013 07:46 AM
Subject: Differences in the curriculum
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org>

Can anybody tell me what is in the new Integrated Algebra curriculum (for the 2014 test) that is not in the curriculum for the this year's exam?

Are there more topics that need to be covered prior to next year's early June exam compared to the topics that need to be covered for this year's mid June exam.

Is there a site that I can access to see the differences?

Spam<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mJmXQ2aM&m=5a9733500626&t=20130412&c=s>
Not spam<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mJmXQ2aM&m=5a9733500626&t=20130412&c=n>
Forget previous vote<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mJmXQ2aM&m=5a9733500626&t=20130412&c=f>

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic mail transmission is intended for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. This message may contain confidential student or personnel data or an attorney-client communication and as such is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message and any attached documents in error, that any review, dissemination/disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message and documents. Thank you for your cooperation.

This e-mail may contain confidential material protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or HIPAA. If this e-mail is sent to you and you are not entitled to access such information federal regulations require that you destroy the e-mail and you may not forward it to anyone. If you have received this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender ASAP by return e-mail.