Date: May 30, 2013 11:18 AM
Author: Louis Talman
Subject: Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

On Wed, 29 May 2013 04:55:16 -0600, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> When I use the phase "student of algebra" I mean a bonafide student of
> algebra.

You seem to mean "successful student" of algebra. That's different from
"student of algebra" and from "bonafide student of algebra". (And "bona
fide" consists of two words.)

You don't get to make private assignments of your own meanings (or
spellings) to the words of English---if you expect other people to
understand you. The very least you must do is to tell us when your use of
a word differs from what the dictionaries prescribe. In a medium such as
this, we read what you wrote---not what you meant.

--Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>