Date: May 31, 2013 3:19 AM
Author: David Bailey
Subject: Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

On 28/05/2013 08:46, fd wrote:> All,

> This is a very interesting debate. I wrote a longer answer with some

experiences I had while mentoring a colleague into Mathematica, but
apparently google groups lost it.

> The core point I'd like to make is that the greatest things about

Mathematica are, in my opinion, its language and its principles. I think
Mathematica structure is far truer to mathematics than other languages.
The missing bit for me is deployability; Mathematica would be more
useful to me in my work if its deployment aspect worked more like a true
programming language, like java applets or iPad apps, without
restrictions to import user data and so on, which is a similar point
others have already made in this thread.

> Best

I am wondering in what way you think Mathematica restricts your ability
to import user data! I would say there are a lot of options, and the
link to Java also gives you access to all of Java's I/O if necessary.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk