Date: Jul 10, 2013 1:51 PM
Author: dpb
Subject: Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?

On 7/10/2013 9:00 AM, Kim Andrews wrote:
> This might not help you, but I thought I'd chime in on how I've been
> using the documentation.
>
> I almost never use the TOC, and navigate almost exclusively using the
> "bread crumbs" that appear under the search box at the top of the page.
> I think this gets me to the topic categories in the fewest number of
> clicks. So if I am on the sparse reference page
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/sparse.html but need more
> information, and maybe a full page example, I click the "Sparse Matrix
> Creation" link at the top of the page to get more information (the
> category page). Another level up in the bread crumb gets me access to
> more information than just creating a sparse matrix.
>
> I use doc and docsearch from the command line a lot. I think the icons
> in the search results do a good job of guiding me to a function
> reference page or to a category page or a full page example. I also find
> it useful to be able to filter results to just MATLAB and not the
> toolboxes (or vice versa).

I do a lot of the same; my complaint is that that is still more work
than the old way and I still think it's extremely useful to see the TOC
w/o it blocking the rest of the help text in order to see where one is
in the hierarchy.

I agree the filtering on product/toolbox is useful; I don't see that it
requires the loss of the previously better organization to add that.

It's also disconcerting that the doc actually crashes and occasionally
takes the whole Matlab session with it...never had that happen before.