Date: Sep 2, 2013 12:55 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1

Richard Strausz posted Sep 1, 2013 9:11 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9251616):

> > On Aug 31, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Richard Strausz
> > <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> >

> > > I'm not sure that my assigned classes are
> relevant,
> > but this year I am teaching all geometry classes,
> > some 'regular' and the rest 'honors'. Most of the
> > latter students will end up in AP Calculus before
> > they graduate HS.
> >
> > Can you talk about how you teach your "honors"
> > students? The assignments and how you spend your
> > class time? I assume you are teaching 9th grade
> > geometry in the Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2
> > sequence? Is it in the "regular" classes that you

> use
> > activities like Dan's?
> >
> > Bob Hansen
> >

> I would say that I use more of Meyer's activities in
> my regular classes. One that I used in both classes
> last year was Popcorn Picker, which was a big hit
> with many students in both levels.
>
> http://threeacts.mrmeyer.com/popcornpicker/
>
> By the way, I have been experimenting with using some
> simple LOGO programming in both levels too.
>
> Richard

IMHO, Dan Meyer's "Popcorn Picker" contains no 'ANGST' at all that I could find - but it does involve a sizable amount of real ALGEBRA. I am not aware of what an 'honors' course in school algebra would involve (in India or in the USA) - but the 'Popcorn Picker' certainly seems to fit the bill.

Doubtless this example may lead to some unease (perhaps up to the extent of some minor angst or maybe even dismay) in Robert Hansen's mind that in the past he may have been a 'mite unfair' to Richard Strausz [RS] (and to Dan Meyer, of course). Congratulations, RS and Dan Meyer.

To the best of my understanding, it is generally wiser not to assume that one knows everything about something that one actually knows rather little about. At least one then avoids being termed a 'Mr Know-It-All'

I believe that one could even get into some calculus from the 'Popcorn Picker' exercise if one were to explore the idea in some depth.

GSC