Date: Sep 19, 2013 4:30 PM
Author: Domenico Rosa
Subject: Re: Notes On A Century

> Domenico Rosa Posted: Sep 19, 2013 12:49 PM
>

> >Haim,
> >
> >What do you think of the following article?
> >==========
> >
> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/06/i

> raq-syria-lebanon-economic-union
> >
> >For Iraq, Syria and Lebanon, there is a peaceful
> >solution

> Dom,
>
> I did not intend to start a discussion on Middle
> dle East politics, but your question touches on a few
> elementary issues that can be addressed fairly
> quickly.
>
> First, it is highly telling that Khanfar speaks of
> of the "four peoples that have coexisted in the
> region since ancient times---Arabs, Kurds, Turks and
> Iranians". What happened the Jews (who still exist),
> the Assyrians (who still exist), Copts (who still
> exist), Greeks (who certainly still exist but who
> were once a major presence from Asia Minor to Egypt
> and throughout the Middle East as far as
> Afghanistan), Armenians (who still exist), and quite
> a few others?

[snip]

Khanfar did indeed omit a large number of ethnic groups. It seems to me that Khanfar may have been thinking of the social and economic environment that existed under the Ottoman Empire.

By the way, the British historian A. J. P. Taylor expressed the following startling opinion: "If the treaty of San Stefano had been maintained, both the Ottoman Empire and Austria-Hungary might have survived to the present day." [ http://www.amazon.com/Struggle-Mastery-Europe-1848-1918-History/dp/0198812701/ Page 253]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_San_Stefano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_of_Berlin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Berlin,_1878