Date: May 29, 2014 9:20 PM
Author: Jackson Trent
Subject: Math for Quantum Computers and Beyond ??

So I am trying to get into a Pre-Calculus class during the summer so I can take Calculus my senior year in high school (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2632127&messageID=9461237#9461237) Thank you to the people who answered my question about needing Calculus.

My math teacher is willing to help me get into the pre-cal course at the local community college (even though registration closed already) but is requiring me to write an essay on math. He wants me to choose an unusual subject, other than that it is my choice.

I have pretty much decided to write my essay about quantum computers.

I'd like to know if current math and computer programs are enough to build a working quantum computer, or if "new math" would be required.

I would also like to know if there might be a type of computer beyond a quantum computer, if that has been even theorized yet, and if you would need a quantum computer to design the type that would come after it.

I was reading a discussion at a website (http://www.bionicme.com/forums/quantum-computing-may-now-be-possible) where one guy was saying new methods would need to be created. But they did not seem to have a good sense about actual mathematics, more generalizations.

>From what I gather, quantum computers still pretty much suck, and can barely do any calculations worthwhile (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-08/quantum-processor-calculates-15-3x5-about-half-time). So what is holding back their design? Is it due to lack of advanced math?

Thank you. I'm trying to finish this essay so my teacher will recommend me. I need to take Calculus before college to be on my proper career track. Also, I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question. I was going to post it in one of the main math forums, but they can get pretty...rabid...in there, and I was scared! lol.