The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 8, 2017 4:13 AM

bursejan@gmail.com

= 0.333...

There is no S(oo), there is no index n=oo.
Only lim n->oo S(n), which happens is can

be written as sum_i=1^oo a(i). For a definition
see this picture here:

Guiness book of records in stupidity,
bird brain John Gabriel entry
https://gist.github.com/jburse/e60242e2e02e611e4373df55bfc37953#gistcomment-2219906

Its really a definition, there is nothing to
guess, its a mathematical notational convention.