Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 8, 2006 8:58 PM

Jared Derksen

Re: [ap-stat] Independent vs Disjoint

Kristopher:

If I roll two dice, the each die can roll a 3. Niether die influences the
other, so they're independent. And since I can roll a 3 on each
simultaneously, they are not disjoint events.

jared

--
Jared Derksen
RCHS

"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing, they
believe in anything."
--GK Chesterton

====
Course related websites:
FAQ: http://www.mrderksen.com/faq.htm
PLEASE CHECK THIS GREAT SITE FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
AP Central: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/stats
Archives: http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=67
---
ap-stat is an Electronic Discussion Group (EDG) of The College Board
TO CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, PASSWORD OR SETTINGS, go to
To UNSUBSCRIBE click the unsubscribe button on your Forums page:
I'm on Chapter 6 of YMS, and I'm not completely clear on independent &amp; disjoint events. I've done exercise 45, and I understand that you can have 2 events that are not independent and not disjoint, but what would be an example of 2 events that are independent but not disjoint?

Course related websites:
FAQ: <a href="http://www.mrderksen.com/faq.htm">http://www.mrderksen.com/faq.htm</a>
Archives: http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=67</pre>
<BR>