Topic: Parabola's
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 2, 2012 1:07 PM

Susan Boone

Re: Parabola's

My favorite thing to teach is "parabola's" I had students bring water
rockets to school this year and we went outside to launch them. We timed
how long it took them to return and recorded their height using a homeade
clinometer. We "sketched" this onformation on a graph, then applied the
formula to graph it using calculators. This is sort of neat because the
flight path of the rochet models a parabola and often the examples in teh
text have something to do with projectiles. I did this with 9th graders
and it was a bit hard. More success may have been possible with more
advanced students...but we had fun and hopefully learned something.

Susan Boone
Saint Agnes Academy
Houston, TX

On 28 Jul 1999, Anonymous wrote:

> I would like to get real-life interesting and exciting applications
> regarding parabola's. Thanks in advance

Date Subject Author
Read Parabola's
Read Re: Parabola's