The Math Forum

Topic: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 19, 1995 4:46 PM

Kristina Lasher

Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics

In article <pow-0611951644240001@olmo.swarthmore.edu>,
pow@forum.swarthmore.edu (Problem of the Week) wrote:

> In article <47dhg8$ih3@forum.swarthmore.edu>, krennin1@swarthmore.edu
> (K.Ann Renninger) wrote:
>

> > RESEARCH SUMMARY: REPOST
> >
> > LEARNING AND MATHEMATICS
> >
> > PAPERT (1993)
> >
> > Quotes and Comments:
> >
> > Discussion can be used to bring an issue to
> > mind and can then be followed by direct instruction; It can also
> > be used following instruction to enable students to consolidate
> > their "real" understanding of what has been presented. Discussion
> > can also be used in evaluating how students have synthesized their
> > understanding of a new skill in combination with prior skills.

> I have found it to be the case that the best way to test my understanding
> of something is to discuss it, or even better try teaching it to somebody
> else. It is this _discussion_ of mathematics that makes me want to be a
> teacher as opposed to a mathematician who only gets to "do" math. What
> are other ways in which we can test whether or not a student has learned
> something?
>
> It seems to me that the method used most often now is to give written
> examinations. Exams however tend to test a student's ability to DO
> similar (if not essentially identical) problems. It was rare in my
> education that I was forced to discuss concepts in math class.

In my school I have been working with teachers to implement a component of
math journal writing within their math instruction in hopes that students
will take time to reflect on their learning and teachers will get a
glimpse into their students' understanding of math concepts. A whole
class discussion in a class of 20-25 children typically means that only a
handful of students really get to talk. Even in smaller groups there are
students who do not take the risk of revealing their thoughts to their
peers. I am hoping that the math journals will give a voice to those
students who are not ready/comfortable discussing their thoughts in a
larger group.

Kristina Lasher
Swarthmore-Rutledge School

Date Subject Author
11/3/95
Read Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
K. Ann Renninger
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Problem of the Week
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tom Davis
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Michael Keyton
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Brian Hutchings
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Ken Wood
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jim LaCasse
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
John Burnette
11/12/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Lou Talman
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tarin Bross
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathemaatics
Steve Means
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Kristina Lasher
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
David Weksler
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jane Ehrenfeld
11/15/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Robin J Healey
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Pat Ballew
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Johnny Hamilton
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/19/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathematics
Tarin Bross