Topic: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Replies: 35   Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 9:58 AM

Tony George

RE: Integrated Algebra

I couldn't agree more. The Algebra Curriculum, as written, is to broad. It must be pared down so that students who take the course have time to digest the material not just take it in.
Also what is the over and under on the cut score for passing versus failing? My guess is 35 points will get you a 65%. Anybody else got a guess?
And by the way, does anyone know what percent of students statewide will pass? It has obviously been decided long before this test was given.

>>> "Kate Nowak" <Knowak@fmschools.org> 06/17/08 6:00 PM >>>
I thought stats, rational expressions, and area were heavily emphasized. I thought some of the questions were unnecessarily tricky (for example I think #37 should have used the word "area" unless the whole point was to test if they knew units of measure, which, I hope not). I thought some of the questions were overly difficult and confusing (I weep for any ELL student trying to decode the complement of a subset of a subset of integers). I wonder what happened to solving equations, systems of equations, and right triangle trig.

On the positive side, I liked that some of the extended response questions called for analysis and justification. I was glad to see more quadratics than we saw on a typical Math A exam.

I wish the amount of material we are expected to cover were more reasonable, so we could do a better job. The sheer breadth of topics means that I am forced to either leave some out, or cover them all superficially. Just anecdotally, I think that most of us opt to cover them all superficially, since we want our kids to have a shot at every question on the unpredictable regents exam. Seriously, if you can't include all the major things you expect kids to be able to do in a three hour exam, your course is too big! Ideally I would like to see statistics and probability removed - they are not connected to everything else and take significant time to do right. This mile-wide/inch-deep curriculum is why the Far East drinks our milkshake (ok it's not the only reason but it's a big one, and one math educators have control over).

Kate

From: TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
Date: Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:00 pm
Subject: Re: Pencils and Pens
To: nysmathab@mathforum.org

<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><DIV><DIV>I recommend that everyone familiarize themselves with the Information Booklet for Scoring the Regents Examination. Most schools around here have classes tomorrow (Monday) - it might be worth your time to read that booklet quickly so you can coach students on any areas where they could possibly lose a point on Tuesday. i.e. it specifically states in that booklet that if an answer requires the students to write units, they're going to lose a point for omitting the units. "<FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT>If the question asks for the number of feet in the length of a figure, no unit is required in the answer. If the question asks for the dimensions of a figure, the proper unit of measure is required in the answer in order to receive full credit."</FONT> </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Here's a link to the entire document:</DIV><DIV><A href="http://w!

ww.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/hsgen/det541ia-608.pdf" target=blank>http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/hsgen/det541ia-608.pdf</A></DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>-Tom Kenyon</DIV><DIV>It appears this is important enough to copy more of it into an email:</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT><P align=left>The open-ended questions (Parts II, III, and IV) on the Regents Examination in Integrated Algebra should be scored in accordance with these guidelines:</P></FONT><FONT face=SymbolMT><P align=left>. </FONT><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT>If the student gives one legible response, even if it is crossed out, teachers should score the response.</P></FONT><FONT face=SymbolMT><P align=left>. </FONT><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT>If there are two or more responses with all but one crossed out, teachers should score only the response not crossed out.</P></FONT><FONT face=SymbolMT><P align=left>. </FONT><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT>If there are one or more partial respons!

es and one complete response, teachers should score the complete respo
tups.</P></FONT><FONT face=SymbolMT><P align=left>. </FONT><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT>If there are two or more complete responses, teachers should score each one. Credit will be allocated in the following way: </FONT></P><P align=left><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT>If one response is completely correct and the others are completely incorrect, teachers should award 50% credit and round down (2 credits for a 4-credit question, 1 credit for a 2-credit question, and 1 credit for a 3-credit question).</P><P align=left>If each response warrants more than 50%, the lesser of the responses is awarded credit. (For example, if a 4-credit question is done two ways, with one worth 4 credits and another worth 3 credits, the student should be awarded 3 credits for the question.)</P></FONT><FONT face=SymbolMT><P align=left></FONT><FONT face=TimesNewRomanPSMT> </P></FONT></DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV> </DIV></DIV></FONT>*****************************************!<~!B*+R^&>
*
*

Date Subject Author
2/28/08
Read What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Robert Hazen
2/28/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
jmahoney@pvcsd.org
2/28/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
sherry
2/28/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Robert Hazen
2/29/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Thomas Prichard
5/15/08
Read Guess and Check
Ryley David
5/15/08
Read RE: Guess and Check
Bob Cote
5/16/08
Read RE: Guess and Check
CRANNELL, ELIZABETH A.
5/18/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
vzeeb76x@verizon.net
5/18/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
sherry
5/19/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
Stelios Orfanidis
5/19/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
Tom Kenyon
5/19/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
Stelios Orfanidis
5/19/08
Read RE: Guess and Check
Ryley David
5/20/08
Read Integrated Algebra
Don
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra
LDodd@alli.wnyric.org
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra
Leslie Tanner
5/20/08
Read RE: Integrated Algebra
Don
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra
Tony George
5/21/08
Read RE: Integrated Algebra
Ryley David
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra/special request
Tom Kenyon
5/21/08
Read RE: special request
Kate Nowak