Topic: History
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 2, 2000 3:10 PM

Wayne Bishop

re: History

In spite of the fact that MPG has wisely advised us to shun his messages, I
find it almost impossible to break old habits.

Frank Gardella asked:
>Does anyone know where this is actually happening?

The answer is sure, most of us who teach at third (or is it fourth?) rate
institutions recognize the problem. To deny its existence may feel good
but does not help. Is it universal among all of the students? Of course
not, I did not mean to imply any such thing. It is not true for the
majority of the enrollees in our history of mathematics course, but it is
true for too many of them. They're the same ones who never got over the
Asses Bridge. Some of them will go out and pretend that they know more
about how geometry should be taught than those who skipped over it whistling.

I agree that it is appropriate to thank those who offered direct response
to the request and do also. A lack of a knowledge of the history of
mathematics is not what ails U.S. mathematics education, however, nor is it
a lack of knowledge of the history of its education. The lack of Ma's PUFM
is *much* more serious so I've never understood why history of mathematics
is deemed so important but mathematics competence less so. Perhaps some
will offer advice as to what their institutions do to assure mathematics
competence of prospective and continuing teachers? California uses the
Praxis for those who did not successfully complete an approved list of
courses but we have a hellish percentage on emergency or provisional
credentials that have done neither. That is much of the reason that some
of us pre-collegiate reformers are so concerned about curriculum. What do
others do?

Wayne.