Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 28, 2012 8:20 PM

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Peter Beck

RE: [ap-calculus] 4.2, 4.3 and 4.6 in larson 8th edition

NOTE:
and post messages there.
Below is the website that I use for chapter 4. I do 4.3 first stressing notation and discussing the definite integral as area of geometric figures. Then, I back up into 4.2 and approach the definite integral through Upper/Lower/Midpoint/Right/Left sums as well as adding 4.6 (Trapezoid only.) I stress we have to approximate figures that we can't find through geometry. Then on day 3 I take a Riemann Sum approach to definite integrals to find the exact area.

After I quiz, I introduce 4.1, then tie the chapter together with 4.4.

I do not like jumping around chapters, but I have found the students follow the logic fairly well. I also feel like the material flowed more smoothly ever since I introduced it this way.

I hope it helps!

http://www1.ccs.k12.in.us/teachers/pbeck/calculuschapter4

Peter Beck