Topic: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Replies: 48   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 2:24 PM

Domenico Rosa

Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?

On 12 Nov 2012, GS Chandy wrote:

> Domenico Rosa posted Nov 12, 2012 5:48 AM:
> >
> > George Shultz and the establishment Republicans did
> > irreparable harm to the U.S when they handpicked
> > George W. Bush as their candidate. These people are
> > directly responsible for the political gridlock and
> > for the "fiscal cliff" that we are facing--and they
> > have yet to accept responsibility for their
> > disastrous choice. Can someone explain to me why
> > these nitwits did not support John McCain, who

> would
> > have won by a landslide in 2000--as indicated by
> the
> > way he drubbed W in the New Hampshire primary?
> >

> <snip>
>
> I want to add: "...did irreparable harm to the world
> as well; irreparable harm to practically each and
> every country that he and his 'policies' touched
> either in their articulation or implementation...
> also did irreparable harm to each and every citizen
> (of the USA and of the world).
>
> Further, what then happened in 2004, when GW Bush
> managed to get himself re-elected - not by "George
> Schultz and the establishment Republicans"... it was
> the citizens of the USA that re-elected him!
>
> (None of the above is to claim that John McCain would
> have done any better in any possible tenure of the
> position of POTUS than GW Bush did...)
>
> [And I say the above not as a supporter by any means
> of the candidate of the Democratic party, whomsoever
> he or she may be in any specific US election: as an
> Indian citizen, I only have the right to protest the
> thoughts or actions of any US president only when
> they affect me as a citizen of India and of the
> world].

If the establishment Republicans had supported John McCain, the megalomaniacal neocons would not have been able to take over the U.S. government. We would not have had clueless Condoleezza Rice placed in charge of national security. Richard A. Clarke, a ten-year White House counterterrorism official, in his book

http://www.amazon.com/Against-All-Enemies-Inside-Americas/dp/0743260457/

revealed the negligent lack of interest on the part of W and others, and especially of Rice, with respect to the threat posed by Islamic extremists--even after the 6 August 2001 Presidential Daily Brief (PDB), "Bin Ladin Determined to Strike Inside U.S.": "Al-Qa'ida members -- including some who are US citizens -- have resided in or traveled to the US for years, and the group apparently maintains a support structure that could aid attacks ... FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/images/04/10/whitehouse.pdf

On pp 251-252 of http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Myself-Liverpool-Downing-Street/dp/0316031453/ , Cherie Blair wrote that, after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack:

"I remembered the conversation I'd had with President Bush, when he and Laura had stayed at Chequers the previous spring. [...] George had been talking about the Star Wars missile defense system, initiated by President Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, and how he saw that as the ultimate shield. But I had grown up under the shadow of IRA terrorism. 'Surely,' I'd said, 'the real danger is not from Russia or any other country sending bombs, but from individual people in a terrorist attack?' George had looked bemused at the suggestion. Americans had no sense that such a thing could ever happen to them, and that's what made September 11 so shocking."

Date Subject Author
11/7/12
Read Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Wayne Bishop
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
[...]
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
[...]
Dave L. Renfro
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Domenico Rosa
11/12/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/13/12