Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 34   Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 10:56 AM

Frederick Williams

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

Charlie-Boo wrote:

> [...] This is like
> trying to figure out someone's computer programs without the specs
> (higher level) or documentation (redundant statements that serve only
> to clarify by expressing something in a different way.)

Computer programs should be self documenting. Other documentation is
either the same as the code and redundant or not the same as the code
and confusing.

Consider:
(1)

if x = SOME_CONST then
y = y + 1

(2)

if x = SOME_CONST then /* x = today's date,
* SOME_CONST = my birth date */
y = y + 1 /* increment my age */

(3)

if todays_date = MY_BIRTH_DATE then
my_age = my_age + 1

(2) is an example of the silly use of the much vaunted comment, (3) is
an example of self documenting code. (1) is probably written by someone
raised on BASIC, the variables of which were called A, A1, A2, ..., B,
B1, ... (or something, I can't be expected to remember).

Date Subject Author
11/12/12
Read Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Zaljohar@gmail.com