Topic: A Point on Understanding
Replies: 66   Last Post: Jan 6, 2013 11:07 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A Point on Understanding

Haim posted Jan 2, 2013 1:01 AM (GSC's remarks at end):

> Robert Hansen Posted: Jan 1, 2013 10:24 AM
>

> >On Jan 1, 2013, at 8:32 AM, GS Chandy
> ><gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> In regard to your son's having "understood the
> concept
> >> of infinity, ... etc", I would suspect that your
> >> having "taught him well" had less to do with it

> than
> >> his own natural "propensity to learn".
>
> >How would you even know that?
>
> The power of lists. Make enough lists, Bob, and
> and you would know it, too.
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

No, 'Bob', you SHOULDN'T take Haim's word for it (if you wish to be wise about 'it').

Haim is entirely wrong (as he is on practically every issue that he 'debates' at Math-teach). Here, he is even more wrong than he is with his ridiculous panacea for all the ills of the US public school education system (viz., "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!")

Contrary to Haim's claim, you would NOT know it if you were just to sit and assiduously make lists 24x7 for the rest of your (hopefully) long and happy life.

However, if you ever were to actually DO something worthwhile with a specific and relevant list that you may construct, you may learn something useful, and thereby you may come to 'know' something - in particular you may be able to understand and even perhaps 'know' the distinction between "SUSPECT" and "KNOW" (which I 'suspect' has evaded you thus far).

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the observation that the EASY way to avoid all such tedium would be to ignore, studiously, all messages purporting to have originated from GSC)

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
12/15/12
Read A Point on Understanding
[...]
[...]