Topic: How students are really using technology
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 3:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: How students are really using technology

Kirby Urner posted Feb 1, 2013 10:18 PM:

> I'd say this is less about how "students are really
> using computers" (Dom's title) than how immature adults
> are weighing computers down with filthy
> malware that hobbles access to the Internet,
> interferes with free speech
> and in general portrays schools as too incompetent
> for words.

<snip>
I fully agree with Kirby's comments.

I recall that, between age 16-19 (or so), I was somewhat addicted to Playboy and porn magazines. (There was no Internet those days). Quite soon I 'grew out' of this interest in Playboy and porn.

I'm sure the students of today are in much the same situation (except that they may be looking at semi-porn and porn via the Internet and possibly they are doing it at a somewhat earlier age than I did). I should think that no real harm would occur, by and large. [In fact, I recall even that I read some pretty good writing in some of the Playboy fiction, interviews, and so on].

I believe that, as Kirby has observed, it is high time those adults attempting to control the Natick school system's computers learned to handle the situation as thinking adults.

They could, for instance, work to set up a student administered set of guidelines as to how those school computers may and may NOT be used. I believe any such initiative would be MUCH more successful than their clumsy attempts at 'control' (which only succeeded in taking down the whole system down for as long as 2 weeks!)

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy