Topic: 4 function calculators
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 9, 2013 5:46 PM

Joan Bookbinder

RE: 4 function calculators

Phil,

I totally agree. A few years ago I was hired to tutor a young woman who
had failed Intermediate Algebra three times. Except for her math
requirements, she had completed her requirements for nursing. The nursing
courses that required math allowed the use of calculators. After 3 - 4
sessions, I believed that she had a learning disability and no matter how
well she grasped the concepts, the arithmetic would hold her back. I
suggested she get tested, and sure enough she did indeed have a LD. After
documentation, I spoke with the Dean and Professor at the college and they
gave her permission to use a 4 function calculator. She aced the course,
and subsequent courses, graduated and eventually got her MS and RN.

Joan S. Kessler (formerly Bookbinder)
Broward College
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

BTW, be careful in the storm.......... be safe my old friend. Good to see
you online.