Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 36   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 6:26 PM

bradguth@gmail.com

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Feb 23, 12:27 pm, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2:52 pm, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >  Here's the article by the Yale astronomer:
>
> > A meteor and asteroid: 1 in 100 million odds.
> > By Meg Urry, Special to CNN
> > updated 8:16 PM EST, Mon February 18, 2013http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/16/opinion/urry-meteor-asteroid/index.html

> >  She states the two have very different orbits so they should be
> > unrelated, but acknowledges that the very low probability of their
> > both occurring so close to each other in time is puzzling.
> >  In view of the very real dangers that would arise IF it is the case
> > they are related I think we should investigate some possible ways this
> > could occur. What I mean by this is cases where we assume asteroids
> > that make close approaches but do not impact, and therefore offer no
> > threat, still could have associated fragments that do impact.

> Smaller fireballs were also seen over Florida and San Francisco:
>
> Florida fireballs? Experts say Florida fireball was a small meteorite
> FLORIDA FIREBALLS FEBRUARY 19, 2013 BY: ED WALSHhttp://www.examiner.com/article/florida-fireballs-experts-say-florida...
>
> Francisco Bay area residents report fireball sighting
> By Associated Press,February 16, 2013http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-02-16/national/37127918_1_ame...
>
> The Air Force has infrasound detectors that can measure atmospheric
> explosions. The size of these fireballs needs to be determined to find
> out how rare they are. In those articles they say both that they occur
> everyday and also they occur at the rate of 5 to 10 a year. If their
> size is such they occur even ten times a year, then the probability of
> one of these meteors of this size occurring on one day is 1 in 36. Now
> the probability of all three events happening on the same day jumps to
> 1 in several billion.
>
> The 2029 close approach of the near Earth asteroid Apophis means this
> is a question that needs to be determined definitively. It also like
> 2012 DA14 is expected to come so close as to get inside the ring of
> geosynchronous satellites, but not impact. Apophis is so large though
> that, unlike 2012 DA14 , on closest approach it will even be visible
> to the naked eye. If it is the case that it can be accompanied by
> fragments that do impact then that is potentially very serious because
> its larger size means it would likely be accompanied by larger
> fragments.
>
> To answer this question a statistical study needs to be made both of
> the Air Force infrasound detectors and the space radar detections to
> find whether on the 2012 DA14 close approach or on other previous
> close approaches whether there was an increase in meteor hits.
>
>   Bob Clark

Getting the USAF or any other military agency to share public funded
science isn't going to happen, at least not within our generation.

Thanks to our NASA/Apollo era of double/triple agents getting away
with all sorts of Paperclip Nazi stuff, is why any cross-agency
collaboration simply isn't going to happen.

Date Subject Author
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Bernier
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Richard Tobin
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/27/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Davoud
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/9/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/7/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
3/15/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/22/13