Topic: elementary NYS common core math modules pacing
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 29, 2013 10:16 PM

Ellen Falk

Re: elementary NYS common core math modules pacing
att1.html (5.2 K)

I would have to say do what is right for kids. The modules are a suggested idea/activities to reach an end result...and are not the assessment. The students need the basic algebra skills necessary to achieve the mathematics required for success on the modules. I get that but let CCLS be the guide to your instruction. Tweak what you have already done with the modules as class activities or extensions. The modules are also written to encompass more than what is required for teachers who may run out of material ( like really??) Be cautious and be sure you are giving kids the skills necessary to handle the module lesson questions. I know in our district that is NOT happening. Kids are getting really frustrated when asked to do a question like the car problem for homework ( car 1 verses car 2, remember , car 1 traveling at 100 mph.. really!? A linear piece-wise system where kids do not even recall how to write the equation of a line. Again, remember to follow what CCLS is saying NOT just the modules. I am not happy with the modules as a curriculum as many teachers seem to be interpreting them to be. Kids do not have the skills needed to get through these problems without careful instruction from their teachers. It is going to require a lot of effort on your part to break down the problem sets into pieces they can understand adn later will be able to put together to solve a bigger problem. Our school is setting kids up for failure because the teachers at that level are not doing this. Parents are very frustrated and kids HATE math and its only been 3 weeks in.
Do not set your kids up for failure because you think the modules are the assessment. Stick to what you as the expert think is right. Collaborate with others in your department. Especially those upper level teachers who will be getting those that you have instructed. I am venting but I am frustrated by the lack of backbone we have as teachers in this state to tell it like it is and to do what is right for kids. There is no recipe for teaching this stuff- follow your gut and do what you know is right.

-----Original Message-----
From: Natasha Hazell <nhazell@gmail.com>
To: amtnys <amtnys@mathforum.org>
Sent: Thu, Sep 19, 2013 3:22 pm
Subject: Re: elementary NYS common core math modules pacing

Would you be willing to share the Modules for Algebra 1? I teach at a private school and we have found very little information on the State website.

On Thursday, September 19, 2013, Kristina Newtown wrote:

Our district has also adopted the NYS Common Core Modules up through Algebra 1. As an Algebra 1 teacher, I can tell you that I am already behind with the pacing. Not only do we only have 40 minute periods rather than 45 minutes, but there is absolutely no time to review questions from homework, or review topics from previous year's that the students may be weak on and need to master before moving on the with Common Core. I'm struggling but trying my best to stay as close to the pacing as possible and then hope that I can trim later on. Modules 3 and 4 were just released and we're still waiting on 5 at the high school, so I am not yet sure what can be cut if anything. I feel like some of the teaching strategies are "silly" at the high school level. For instance, my students already know how to apply the distributive property algebraically and yet I'm required to show them how to apply it through a graphic model. Is this absolutely necessary?

Kristina Newtown
Mathematics
Frankfort-Schuyler High School
605 Palmer Street
Frankfort, New York 13340

Phone: (315)895-7461

>>> ansexton <ansexton@nanuetsd.org> 9/19/2013 8:53 AM >>>
Our district has adopted the NYS Common Core modules for K-6. Our teachers have been having a very difficult time keeping to the very tight pacing of the modules. We are anxious that if we slow down because our students have not had the previous year's modules, then we will miss modules that will be tested.
Are other districts using these? Do you have the same issues? What are teachers doing to strategically cut so the curriculum can be taught since it is paced from day 1 to day 180?

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying is strictly prohibited. The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

--
-Natasha