Topic: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Replies: 62   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 10:17 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel

On 2/23/2014 1:01 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article <ledaon$1f2$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote:
>

>> Indeed. To reiterate, mine was not an objection to the notion of 1-to-1
>> mappings, e.g. I have no qualms with the idea that there are as many even
>> natural numbers as there are natural numbers: both collections are simply
>> *endless*. It is the idea that the natural numbers form a set, i.e. a
>> complete totality that is, as I am contending, untenable.

> If you can speak of the natural numbers collectively, as you just did,
> then in your mind you can distinguish them for everything else, which is
> just what claiming a set(collection) of them is doing.
>
> So you are, in effect, saying that you cannot do what you have just done.

Julio, di Egidio, I wouldn't let that the numbers weren't a
collection, just because we can collect them.

Because most assuredly you don't intend to give up other features of
the numbers as they already are.

Then, Hancher, neither, these sets as regular in all the regular
spaces they comprise, is not that as well-founded then as the
continuum of numbers, that they aren't so. The numbers are regular
for the continuum of the naturals or reals, as of the naturals.
Yet, it is not as well-founded, that the "infinity" of the
collection of the numbers, would preclude they were regular (here
well-ordered in their usual sense, infinite numbers for example from
zero).

The natural integers are infinite: there is no greatest, this is via
induction. Then, Goedel proves the consistent arithmetic
incomplete, there are true facts about its objects, only integers,
and consistent thus with all other true facts, that are not theorems
already of "there are only finite(-ly) many integers that are
infinite". Then, there are infinitely many integers that are
infinite, this with that there are still only integers.

Then, for what infinity is or would, it is symmetric to zero that
all its predecessors reflect and go to zero as all zero's successors
go to it.

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/22/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
fom
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read How to instantly spot a troll.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Roland Franzius
[...]
YBM
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
John
2/23/14
[...]
William Elliot
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Richard Tobin
2/23/14
[...]
David C. Ullrich
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
byron
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Peter Percival
2/24/14