Topic: Stastistical anlysis of data
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 15, 2005 1:32 AM

Bob

Re: Stastistical anlysis of data

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:02:04 EDT, david12345
<geneticsdave@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I have a question regarding handling data sets. I have the following data set:
>
>30 9.6220014 5
>31 9.679617231 13
>32 9.536040885 26
>33 9.535762732 71
>83 12.24933383 77
>84 12.41874065 43
>85 12.78881235 49
>86 13.19374569 36
>87 13.31295141 22
>88 13.40296594 32
>89 14.12852379 19
>90 15.0069972 10
>91 14.80045136 11
>92 16.0856481 20
>93 16.02837425 8
>94 17.01533267 6
>95 17.609 9
>96 17.59174983 12
>97 17.58454545 11
>98 17.276062 16
>99 17.58062433 24
>100 18.08862419 16
>
>It relates to calculations of geometric twist angles of DNA. The first coulumn if the percentage AT bases of DNA analysed. The second coulmn the average twist angles calculated by software for each %AT of DNA sequence. The third column is a count of the number of records (data is the result of a database query) used to calculate each average.
>
>At high or low AT percentages, only a few records are used to calculate each average, and as such the average twist calculated for each %AT deviates from the same query performed on control DNA where the datasets used was a magnitude larger.
>
>How do I describe this in a stastistical manner that my PhD examiners may be happy about? So far I have stated "deviations of calculated twist angles from the control DNA sequences observed at higher AT percentages are due to the limited size of the data sets available calculated from DNA sequence with an AT content greater than eighty percent."
>
>I am not a mathmatician but am still aware the above sentence is drivel.

It's late, and maybe I don't understand your data set. But sounds to
me like your point is simply wrong. The structure of high-AT DNA is
known to be quite different from that of random-sequence DNA.

What are the error bars on your angles? You are reporting a zillion
decimal places. Why? But common sense (based on cursory examination of
the table itself) suggests the angles you show are good to a tenth
degree or so. So obviously the angles at the bottom are different from
the ones at the top.

bob