Topic: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Replies: 163   Last Post: Jun 20, 2005 1:03 AM

Robin Chapman

Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)

Chan-Ho Suh wrote:

> In article <d8p7fb$cdn$1@south.jnrs.ja.net>, Robin Chapman
> <rjc@ivorynospamtower.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Torkel Franzen wrote:

>> > It is the spelling used in British English.

>> What is "British English"? Still means nowt to me.

>> > There is nothing particularly "standard" about British English.

>> Your persistent irrelevance is most baffling. I spoke of
>> standard English, not "British English".

> I must admit to being puzzled here, Robin. I think I understand where
> you're coming from about "British English"; the variety of English
> spoken in Great Britain

There isn't just one.

> I'm ignorant in these English matters, so I would appreciate being
> enlightened as to whether "standard English" would be recognized as
> being one thing no matter where you are in England, Scotland, Ireland
> etc. Is this term actually common?

Common enough.

> Is there, as you have implied by
> your usage in this thread, a fixed standard?

There are de facto standards, not de jure standards.

--
Robin Chapman, www.maths.ex.ac.uk/~rjc/rjc.html
"Elegance is an algorithm"

Date Subject Author
6/13/05
Read Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
David Petry
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Nathan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Barb Knox
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robert Low
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Nathan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Denis Feldmann
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Denis Feldmann
6/19/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/14/05
Read Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/14/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Victor Eijkhout
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
[...]
Read Grammar was Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Matt Gutting
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Randy Poe
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
stephen@nomail.com
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Clifford J. Nelson
6/15/05
[...]
Read Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Franzen's religious babbling was Re: Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's religious babbling was Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Lee Rudolph
6/15/05
[...]
Daniel Ryan
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Russell Blackadar
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
G. A. Edgar
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Dave Rusin
6/17/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Keith Ramsay
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Virgil
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Jim Sprigs
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Gerry Myerson
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daryl McCullough
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
W. Dale Hall
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Tom Traubert
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
vkarlamov@yahoo.com
6/18/05
[...]
Richard Tobin
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dik T. Winter
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
TonyBones
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Darren
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
TonyBones
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chris Menzel
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daryl McCullough
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/19/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
jirka@5z.com
6/20/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
fishfry
6/14/05
[...]
Starx
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Mark Nudelman
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Poker Joker
6/14/05
[...]
David C. Ullrich
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
guenther.vonKnakspott@gmx.de
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Ryan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chas Brown
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Victor Eijkhout
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
vkarlamov@yahoo.com
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Asimov
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Ryan
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Martin Semerád
6/17/05