Topic: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Replies: 32   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 7:32 AM

Jim Sprigs

Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end

david petry wrote:

> David C. Ullrich wrote:
>

> > [experimental testing] still _is_ something that mathematicians
> > _do_. And the tragic rise of Cantorianism has
> > had no effect on that fact whatever.

> Maybe you misread both the article I quoted and me.
>
> String theory, like Cantor's Theory, has given rise to the
> idea that there exist branches of physics [mathematics] which
> do not need to make predictions which could be experimentally
> tested. As one physicist seems to be saying, consistency by
> itself is sufficient to justify the theory, and that's what
> Cantorians believe about their own theory.

Where mathematics is concerned, maybe consistency _is_ enough. Physical
theories are supposed to tell us something about the world; mathematics
can't do that.

--
The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here.

Date Subject Author
10/28/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Jesse F. Hughes
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/30/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
11/1/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David Petry
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David Petry
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Jim Sprigs
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Dr. David Kirkby
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Han de Bruijn
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Virgil
10/30/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Ross Finlayson
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
G.E. Ivey
10/29/05
[...]
quasi
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Randy Poe
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David M Einstein
10/29/05