Topic: millenium prize for poincare conjecture
Replies: 5   Last Post: Dec 11, 2005 10:03 AM

Chan-Ho Suh

Re: millenium prize for poincare conjecture

In article <dnacql$t1t$1@panix2.panix.com>, Lee Rudolph
<lrudolph@panix.com> wrote:

> bijan <bijmohebi@yahoo.com> writes:
>

> >Has the prize for the poincare conjecture been given out? I think the two
> >years necessary have passed.

> It has not been given out. I was talking to some people
> who I trust to know about such things, and there seems
> to be no doubt that Perlman's proof(-outline) is correct,
> but very great doubt that it will ever be written up in
> complete detail (by him, or perhaps by anyone).

I went to a talk where the speaker affirmed he had verified most of the
details, except the parts pertaining to (well-known) results in minimal
surface theory. So it seems doubtful to me that things are so
complicated that a very detailed proof couldn't or wouldn't be written
up in the near future.

> There is
> even doubt as to whether he's under or over 40 (not
> relevant to the Millenium Prize, of course).

He is under 40 by the relevant date.