Topic: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Replies: 67   Last Post: Apr 4, 2006 1:35 PM

Guess who

Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math

On 24 Mar 2006 11:22:36 -0500, hrubin@odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman
Rubin) wrote:

>In article <m4p522tsf03cd3aq84fm1spqnugkge7oac@4ax.com>,
>Guess who <notreally.here@here.com> wrote:

>>On 23 Mar 2006 11:33:53 -0500, hrubin@odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman
>>Rubin) wrote:

>>>Concepts and structure need to come EARLY, so the students
>>>can know why, and not just how.

>>Not so; certainly not necessarily so, and far too sweeping a
>>generalisation. You lose almost everyone if you pontificate. The
>>young are generally not ready for theory simply due to the fact that
>>they are very young, but might grasp it later when they have more
>>detail to put to that theory.

>Do you mean you cannot teach grammatical structure to
>someone who has not learned a language? Nonsense.

In what language to you teach it then?

>You do not understand concepts. They are NOT the same as
>theory; one can learn the theory and have no understanding
>of the concepts, and vice versa.

Don't be speculative about what I do or do not know. I *taught*
concepts. I *argued* that is was lack of knowledge and understanding
of concepts that made the difference, being not surprised even when my
own daughter showed a decided lack of that knowledge in her studies in
physics.

Date Subject Author
3/22/06
Read Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Domenico Rosa
3/22/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/22/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
toto
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Road Runner News
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Sumbuny
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Sumbuny
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Virgil
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/27/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave Rusin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
The World Wide Wade
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
James Dolan
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave Rusin
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
James Dolan
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
James Dolan
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
The World Wide Wade
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
A N Niel
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
A N Niel
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave L. Renfro
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/31/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave L. Renfro
4/4/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/31/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Pham
3/25/06
[...]
Robert LeChevalier
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
toto
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Large_Nassau_Grouper@Yahoo.com
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Robert LeChevalier
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Large_Nassau_Grouper@Yahoo.com
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/29/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
The World Wide Wade
3/29/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Jim
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Pubkeybreaker
3/28/06