Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 16, 2007 8:01 AM

Paul Rodriguez

RE: [ap-stat] 7 cards - no pairs

13 C 7 * 4 C 1 * 4 C 1 * 4 C 1 * 4 C 1 * 4 C 1 * 4 C 1 * 4 C 1 minus the
straights and flushes

You have 13 types of cards, and need them all to be different, so 13 choose
7. Now each of those 7 cards you picked has 4 different types (Heart, Club,
Diamond, Spade), so it is (4 C 1) ^ 7. Now we have to subtract the amount
of straights and flushes there are (not as easy to explain!)

Here is a link, though, to the actually computed probabilities
http://www.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/comp20/

Hope that helps.

Paul Rodriguez
Troy High School
Fullerton, Ca

>From: "Holly Thompson" <thompsonholly@rockwood.k12.mo.us>
>To: "AP Statistics" <ap-stat@lyris.collegeboard.com>
>Subject: [ap-stat] 7 cards - no pairs
>Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:04:02 -0600
>

>I keep getting the "wrong" # of combos ....
>
>how many possible hands are there if you are dealt 7 cards and you have no
>pairs .... more importantly - how do you calculate it - bc I need to figure
>out why my method is not working ......
>
>thanks in advance - it is drving me crazy
>
>====
>Course related websites:
>FAQ: http://www.mrderksen.com/faq.htm
> PLEASE CHECK THIS GREAT SITE FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
>AP Central: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/stats
>Archives: http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=67
>---
>ap-stat is an Electronic Discussion Group (EDG) of The College Board
>TO CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, PASSWORD OR SETTINGS, go to
>http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_account/edit
>To UNSUBSCRIBE click the unsubscribe button on your Forums page:
>http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_forums/

Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727&moid=7581

====