Topic: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Replies: 20   Last Post: Sep 17, 2007 6:51 AM

Jeff Liebermann

Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual

Proginoskes <CCHeckman@gmail.com> hath wroth:

>On Sep 13, 9:42 am, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>> dontd...@gmail.com hath wroth:
>>

>> >This year there have been about 2000
>> >postings in the last 2.5 months begging to buy the homework
>> >answers just in the four newsgroups that I have posted to.

>> I don't think a killfile would do much to reduce the number of
>> cheaters. Methinks a "poison pill" approach would be more useful.
>> Collect some of the solutions manuals and change the answers and
>> methods to render them useless. Then, post the modified solutions
>> manuals to all the usual places (file sharing and download sites).
>> Printed copies could be sold on eBay. I predict a sudden decrease in
>> student test scores. [...]

>I've mentioned this before, elsewhere, but: Some dictionaries will
>include "fake words" as a test to see if anyone is indiscriminately
>copying their definitions and re-publishing them elsewhere. The best-
>known example of a "fake word" is "Dord", which was given the
>definition "density". (They simply took the spaces out of "D or d".)
>
>I sometimes wonder whether publishing companies do the same thing ---
>"fake solutions" --- to demonstrate that a copyright violation has
>taken place.
>
> --- Christopher Heckman

It's not just dictionaries. It's epidemic in published databases,
where theft by duplication is all too common. I've also seen printed
books and eBooks, which I'm certain had to have been spell checked
several times, contain obscure spelling errors. My guess is these
were also intentionally added to prove copyright. Kinda reminds me of
the architects and mechanical engineers that each had their own custom
fonts.

I'm not proposing a few random changes to a solutions book. I'm
suggesting that the entire solutions book be faked. While a few
arithmetic errors would be easy, methinks a totally wrong approach to
solving the problem would be far more entertaining. It's usually easy
enough to work out the correct answer. However, fabricating a wrong
answer requires both a complete understanding of the problem, and some
arcane knowledge of common mistakes and procedural errors. This isn't
going to be easy.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Date Subject Author
9/11/07
Read Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
dontdont@gmail.com
9/11/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
John Larkin
9/11/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Joel Kolstad
9/11/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
quasi
9/11/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
quasi
9/11/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Herbert John \ Jackie\ Gleason
9/11/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Proginoskes
9/12/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
ChairmanOfTheBored
9/12/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Phil Carmody
9/12/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Archimedes' Lever
9/12/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
keith
9/13/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Jeff Liebermann
9/13/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
quasi
9/16/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
JosephKK
9/16/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Proginoskes
9/16/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
Jeff Liebermann
9/16/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions
manual
Bob Marlow
9/16/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual
keith
9/17/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions
manual
David Bernier
9/17/07
Read Re: Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions
manual
Anon.
9/17/07