The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » discretemath

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: graphy theory problem
Replies: 0  

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List  

Posts: 1
Registered: 10/25/07
graphy theory problem
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 12:50 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply


I'm sure this is stupidly simple and someone will be able to tell me the answer straight away. I'm trying to find the name of a type of subgraph, and a way of representing this formulaically if possible.

The graphs I am using are simple undirected graphs, whereby each node is of degree 1,2 or 3. For my work I break the graph into subgraphs, whereby each subgraph is a path such that the start/end nodes are of degree 1 or 3, and the rest are of degree 2.

For example, suppose we had the following graph:

1 - 2 - 3
5 - 6 - 7
Splitting this into the subgraphs mentioned would yield: [1-2-3],[1-4-5],[5-6-7]

So is there a term for such subgraphs, or at least a formula to show how they are derived? I have been unable to find one so far, but as I've said this seems a straightforward thing to do so would expect there is a term for it already!


Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.