Topic: Statistically different distance matrices
Replies: 7   Last Post: Nov 29, 2007 8:10 AM

David B. Chorlian

Re: Statistically different distance matrices

In <19195940.1196244106057.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org> Tim De Meyer <Tim.DeMeyer@ugent.be> writes:

>Hi,

>I would like to find a statistical test to solve the following problem. I presume this test already exists, so some pointers to names, websites, software, articles etc. would be very much appreciated.

>Suppose one has the geographic locations of 1000 tiny islands in a volcanic region. 10 years later, these geographic locations are measured again, and now the question is: have the islands drifted away from each other or towards each other. This problem comes dome to the question: are the distances in the two corresponding distance matrices statistically different...

Look at the procrustes value and compare it with possible measurement
errors in a randomization test.

--
David B. Chorlian
Neurodynamics Lab SUNY/HSCB