Topic: Finding eigenvalues
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 23, 2008 3:25 PM

Greg

Re: Finding eigenvalues

> On Jan 23, 5:02 pm, Greg <starwar...@aol.com> wrote:
> > I need to find the eigenvalues/eigenvectors for the
> wave equation with specific boundary conditions. I
> am not sure how to do this. Can anyone guide me
> towards the first few steps I would need to take (the
> thought process of getting to the answer)?
>
> What do you know about the subject? Do you have
> available a
> standard book on differential equations which deals
> with,
> say, Fourier series and separation of variables?

Yes I do. My main issue is that when I was taking my math courses I just did the problems without thinking about the substance so when presented with just a general problem like this, I'm not sure what to refer to or where to start. That's why right now, I was just hoping for some basic guidance, I can do all the number crunching or equation manipulating, I just need to know where to start.