From: Beth Walker [mailto:bwalker2@marioncs.org]
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 12:54 PM
To: nysmathab@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: 4th degree polynomial factoring

Factor out a (-3x/14)(2x^3 - 5x^2-14x + 8)
Use synthetic division to find x = -2 leaving 2x^2 - 9x + 4
Which factors nicely into (2x - 1)(x - 4)

Four factors (-3/14x)(x + 2)(2x - 1)(x - 4)
Now I did that pretty quickly between classes. Check me.
Beth

Beth Walker
Enrichment Coordinator
Marion Elementary School
(315) 926-4256 x2112 voicemail x9055

Sooner or later, we all quote our mothers.
>>> "Lomnitzer, Beth" <LomnitzerB@ilcsd.org> 05/12/08 12:41 PM >>>
Hi, everyone! I was hoping someone might have some insight into factoring
this polynomial. I've tried a number of different starting methods but I've
gotten stuck every time. ANY ideas or direction would be highly
appreciated!

y = (-3/7)x^4 + (15/14)x^3 + 3x^2 - (12/7)x

Thanks!
Beth Lomnitzer
Indian Lake Central School
*