The Math Forum

Topic: good introduction to formal grammars
Replies: 113   Last Post: Aug 13, 2008 1:07 AM

Richard Herring

Re: good introduction to formal grammars

In message <rubrum-9D09C2.15193506082008@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>, Michael
Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> writes
>In article
><92dcf2cc-9303-4770-87d6-b5b057f014e3@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
> "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 5, 5:39 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> > In article
>> > <c067aa1b-655b-4da9-b167-537105f4d...@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

>> > It all parses perfectly. What is your thesis?
>> > Each sentence expresses a notion of a state of affairs.

>> I have no idea what you're talking about. (Brit: what you're on
>> about.)
>>
>> "Colorless ..." is about the most famous sentence in linguistics; it's
>> Chomsky's pioneering example of a sentence that is perfectly
>> grammatical (as everyone will agree) and uninterpretable.

>It is a deliberate contradiction in terms.

It _contains_ a contradiction, but that's not the point. If that bothers
you, delete the first word, or substitute something else.

>Such sentences are often constructed for amusement.
>Sometimes such a sentence is resolved.
>A well constructed sentence can be mechanically analyzed.
>Barring self-contradiction it has intrinsic meaning.

So consider e.g. "Rectangular green ideas sleep furiously." No
self-contradiction. What's its "intrinsic meaning"?

--
Richard Herring

Date Subject Author
7/14/08
Read good introduction to formal grammars
py.ohlin@gmail.com
7/14/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
8/3/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Helmut Richter
8/3/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Helmut Richter
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
8/3/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
DKleinecke
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Helmut Richter
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Helmut Richter
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Bart Mathias
8/4/08
[...]
Michael Press
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
analyst41@hotmail.com
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
analyst41@hotmail.com
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
galathaea
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
DKleinecke
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/5/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Michael Press
8/5/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/6/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Michael Press
8/7/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Richard Herring
8/7/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Michael Press
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Richard Herring
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Helmut Richter
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Richard Herring
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/12/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Richard Herring
8/13/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
analyst41@hotmail.com
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Jack Markan
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/9/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/9/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/8/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
8/9/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Joachim Pense
8/7/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/10/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Michael Press
8/10/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
8/10/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Michael Press
8/10/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/10/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Michael Press
8/6/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/6/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Jens S. Larsen
8/8/08
[...]
Pubkeybreaker
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Helmut Richter
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Bill Dubuque
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
LudovicoVan
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Jack Markan
8/11/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Jack Markan
8/12/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
py.ohlin@gmail.com
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Pubkeybreaker
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
py.ohlin@gmail.com
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Angus Rodgers
7/15/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
py.ohlin@gmail.com
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
James Dolan
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
António Marques
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
py.ohlin@gmail.com
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Quinn
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Nathan Sanders
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Brian M. Scott
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Nathan Sanders
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/17/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
7/17/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Peter T. Daniels
7/18/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Adam Funk
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Jack Markan
8/4/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
Jack Markan
7/16/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
galathaea
7/31/08
Read Re: good introduction to formal grammars
tommy1729
7/31/08