Topic: New Algebra 2/trig curriculum for 2009-2010
Replies: 11   Last Post: Sep 12, 2008 11:01 AM

Luisahaw@aol.com

Re: New Algebra 2/trig curriculum for 2009-2010
att1.html (7.3 K)

Hi. Hope everyone had a great start. Our district participated in a county
wide (Broome Tioga) Algebra 2/Trig regional planning this past July. Two
teachers were sent and shared with our department today the draft for a
proposed curriculum. Since they like it so much, we are implementing it the first
quarter. Lots of mixed feelings about this.

Anyways...our school is not in a position to order new books and we may very
well see freezes. We are using the McDougal Littell Series copyright 2001.
Are there any schools out there using this book with the new state test in
mind? I have used this book to prepare kids for the Math B, but now the
teachers who want the new curriculum don't want to use the book. In fact they have
no idea what book they want. What I understand they would like to make lots
of handouts.

Also, we are still preparing the kids for the Math B exam with this new
curriculum. I explained to my colleagues it is not a match. So any help or
suggestion would be great!!! 15 years of teaching experience and I need help!!!
Thanks!!!

Luisa Duerr
Binghamton High School

In a message dated 8/26/2008 10:24:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ckohl@twcny.rr.com writes:

I also thank Dina for posting - we had many of the same questions this
summer as we worked on the new curriculum at ESM.

We also share the same concern of 'not enough time' to fit it all in. Our
first estimate put us over by 13 blocks! We also looked at using 3 semesters
to complete the course but since many of our seniors opt for a Stats class,
that is not a good option. We still have not found a good answer, but for
right now we settled on take home tests for each unit to buy back a review and
test day (1-2 blocks per unit). The take-home portion of the test would be
for the long response questions and would incorporate the unit completed plus
any units previously completed (since we will only have a short time to review
at year-end). The next class day students would take the multiple choice
section of the test in class (using the amount of time allocated for a quiz).
We are hoping that there will be a better answer to this problem before we
implement the new curriculum in the 2009 school year.

FYI - I also attended a workshop today where a couple of ideas were
suggested to help find some time. I haven't thought them through carefully enough
yet, so I am not sure if they will work for us. Here are the suggestions:
1) Do not teach a 'Rationals' unit. Instead spread this unit out over the
year (probably 3-5 months worth) and give 5-10 minutes each class period to
practice and build. Example: start with 3-5 simpler factoring problems, next
increase the difficulty in factoring, next simplify alg. fractions, then
multiply/divide alg. fractions, complex fractions, add/sub fractions, and finally
solve fractions.
2) Give 'number sense and operations' type problems as take-home packets
that students learn on their own. This could include units on simplifying
radicals, powers of i, complex number operations. Students would be given a
packet to 'teach themselves' over a long weekend, vacation, or Jan. regents week
and would be tested upon return to class.

Cindy Kohl
East Syracuse-Minoa HS