Topic: Discretization of the transient term for the transport equation
[NEWBIE QUESTION]

Replies: 4   Last Post: Sep 8, 2008 4:35 AM

bouloumag@gmail.com

Re: Discretization of the transient term for the transport equation
[NEWBIE QUESTION]

On 7 sep, 09:12, Maciej Marek <archet_tou...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> boulou...@gmail.com pisze:
>

> > For the Crank?Nicolson numerical scheme, a low CFL number is not
> > required for stability, but I think it is required for numerical
> > accuracy, so this method looks less interesting for me.

> It's the same with BDF.
>

> > Is the 2e
> > order BDF a better choice in this case ? I would appreciate advice on
> > this issue.

> Why don't you implement both and compare the results?
> If that's too much work, take a problem with analytical
> solution you know and asses the error for one of the
> schemes that you prefer.
>
> It would be nice if you share with us the results
> you obtain.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej Marek

This is probably what I will do, but I would like to know if there is
any theorical advantage to use the 2nd order BDF over the Crank?
Nicolson scheme or vice versa ?