The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Curricula » Investigations Other Topics

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: What is it called? Geometry Q?
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 11, 2010 3:57 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]

Posts: 1
From: UK
Registered: 11/4/08
What is it called? Geometry Q?
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 2:37 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hi, wondered if anyone can help?

Say I have a hollow sphere. Then I find a square pipe and use it to puncture the sphere, so that it cuts out a section of the sphere's surface.

What is that section called? And would it be called something different if the pipe was circular or triangular or indeed of random shape?

Is there a proper name for this geometric surface other than 'partial sphere' ?

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.