Topic: Re: number line
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 26, 2009 9:30 AM

James A. Landau

Re: number line

(my apologies if this post appears twice; I couldn't tell if it were received the first time)

I was not thinking of the "arrow of time"; I was just trying to think of
early math techniques that approached (asymptotically?) the concept of
"number line". Hipparchus and his Stereographic Projection (not
"Stereographic Transformation" as I incorrectly wrote) came to mind for
the irrelevant reason that my daughter once used it to solve a homework
problem ("show a one-to-one correspondence between the interval (0,1)
and the real number line").

As you have pointed out, the Egyptians had an elaborate system of
rational numbers. Did they know of the existence of irrational numbers?
Or did the Pythagoreans make that discovery? I honestly don't know.

- James A. Landau