Topic: Re: _LEFT BACK Review - selective editing
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
IhorC@aol.com

Re: _LEFT BACK Review - selective editing

Michael,
Im not surprised that the folks who quoted the review focused on that
paragraph. What they conveniently left off was "the rest of the story"

(continued from Sara Mosle's review)
"...As a matter of practice, however, Ravitch is on less secure ground.
As she concedes, parents and teachers have always rejected reformers
wackier notions..." (A couple of paragraphs later) "..Its also a little
unfair to pin anti-intellectualism in the schools on a small band of
theorists enscounced at Teachers college. Anti intellectualism has always
been a feature of American life, arguably more prevalent on the right
than on the left. Its best representative at the moment is probably
Governer Bush who calls for improving schools even as he all but brags
that he is stupider than his pointy-headed opponent Al Gore. And the
religious right has done far more, in the name of "creationism," to
retard the teaching of science in this country than progressive
curriculum. Similarly women blacks and immigrants werent "left back"
educationally in the first half of this century solely because a few
progressive theorist argued for a dversified curriculum!

Ravitch's sheer animus against the progressive tradition whose very
real contributions to education she mentions in passinbg but never quite
acknowledges - may baffle lay readers. Her book is best understood as a
scathing indictment of the ed-school "in" crowd where an atmosphere of
what Orwell once called "orthodoxy-sniffing" - "sniff, sniff, are you a
good progressive educator?" - has predominated. If Ravitch is too
pessimistic, its perhaps she has spent too much time in this dispiriting
world...."

-Ihor

Ihor Charischak
Stevens Institute of Technology