Topic: Re: AP Statistics is kind of BORING!
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
John Burnette

Re: AP Statistics is kind of BORING!

>In a message dated 97-10-18 11:06:26 EDT, jburne@sprynet.com writes:
>
><< I'm currently a Senior in High School. I mean no disrespect to any STAT

> >teachers, but so far the class is really boring. Does it change ?
> >AP Calculus isn't boring, IT'S PRETTY CHALLENGING!

> In the lingo of the net, this is what's called a "troll."
>
> Please do your dead level best to ignore him.

>John,
>For those of us who are lingo-challenged, please define "troll."

A "troll" (and forgive me if I've misspelled it) has to do with fishing,
not creatures who live under bridges. It refers to someone to tosses out a
loaded statement, usually one intended to shock, and then enjoys the furor
thereby created.

In this case, student states his statistics class is really boring.
Doesn't ask for any advice, doesn't offer any amplifying comments other
than to compare it with AP Calculus - which is nearly like waving a red
flag around these parts.

The general concensus seems to be that people don't like me suggesting
which messages to reply to. So I'll refrain from that in the future.

I stand by my original opinion that the original poster had not intention
of raising an issue or solving a problem. Taken further, I do not believe
his statement that he meant "no disrespect to any STAT teacher".

And finally, and perhaps most emphatically, I categorically reject his
underlying premise that "interesting" and "challenging" are at opposite
ends of a single spectrum.

Those curious might note that we've now had seven postings in response to
this message. Has a real issue been addressed? Has it been worth your time
to read all of these. Is the original poster even still READING the forum
waiting for our replies?? I'd apologize for having been so blunt, but I
personally find when otherwise useful forums become innundated by such
postings it really really annoys me.

Then again, 2 years ago I was chastized in the sci.math newsgroup for
responding to a student who wanted the group to verify his teacher was an
idiot for stating to his class that .99999.... = 1.0 Perhaps it's true,
I'm just an abrasive jerk.