From: Paul Velleman [SMTP:pfv2@cornell.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 1998 5:10 PM
To: apstat-l@etc.bc.ca; Kim Robinson
Cc: mmbalach@mtu.edu
Subject: Re: qualtiative study

Sorry Kim, but it just aint so. Voluntary response data are *worthless*.
One excellent example is the books by Shere Hite. She collected many
that are roundly contradicted by all responsible studies. She claimed to be
doing only qualitative work, but what she got was just plain garbage.
Another famous example is the Literary Digest "poll". All you learn from
voluntary response is what is said by those who choose to respond. Unless
the respondents are a substantially large fraction of the population, they
are very likely to be a biased -- possibly a very biased -- subset.
Anecdotes tell you nothing at all about the state of the world. They can't
be "used only as a description" because they describe nothing but
themselves.

My understanding of the term "Qualitative study" is that it refers to
information collected in a setting where quantitative measurements are not
feasible, but in which sound experimental or sampling procedures have been
used. I would have no objection to a survey of AP Stats teachers that
observed their work in class and judged how successfully they taught, say,
the Central Limit Theorem -- provided the classes observed were selected by
appropriate random sampling and observed following a planned observation
protocol by trained observers. That would, by my understanding, be a
qualitative study.

And Peg, I certainly didn't mean to come down hard on you; sorry if it came
across that way. I just hate to see people spend much time an effort on
studies that are doomed from the start and that could easily be made much
more valuable. I see too many of these, and my frustration leaks through at
times.

-- Paul