Topic: Arthur Benjamin's formula for changing math education
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 20, 2009 11:54 PM

reuterg@canandaiguaschools.org

Re: Arthur Benjamin's formula for changing math education
att1.html (2.3 K)

Arthur Benjamin is an amazing mathematician, and his words ought to have at least a small effect on our perspective.

If you talk to international students, they study calculus in grade 11, and among other topics. Calculus is not the end-all course, and we have to stop treating it that way. Further, and not that off-topic, most precalculus courses are a mess of topics that students don't even need to be successful in calculus. Perhaps, a look at the upper-level curricula isn't a bad idea.

No more messing with Alg/Geom/A2Trig, though... we've done enough with that...

Respectfully submitted,
George Reuter
Canandaigua Academy

>>> "Bob Hazen" <robertjhazen@verizon.net> 7/2/2009 7:35 AM >>>
It was a pretty short video and I'd love to talk at length with Arthur
Benjamin about his notion, but I don't think his point was to not teach
Calculus, but to place it in a different instructional sequence in the
schools. As a point of consideration... we could even begin introducing the
basic concepts of Calculus (change over time) in the elementary grades and
build on it through the subsequent years. We might consider doing the same
thing with Playground Physics in the science curriculum.

Just a couple of thoughts on a rainy Saturday morning in western NY.

Bob Hazen