Topic: Re: Int Alg and Graduation Requirement
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Luisahaw@aol.com

Re: Int Alg and Graduation Requirement
att1.html (8.1 K)

Does anyone know for sure if the component retesting will still be around
next year? I am the math teacher on an multi - discipline committee
working on credit recovery with seniors. The administrator for this project is
convinced that component retesting will still be around. I have yet to see
that in writing and am hesitant about including that in the program. As of
now I am sticking with the regents exams we have as commencement.

One of my seniors this past school year tried to pass the Math A and the
component retest. She failed every time. The irony was she was a senior
working on her 4th credit of math! She only graduated because she was able
to pass the Integrated Algebra.

Thanks for your input.

Luisa Duerr

In a message dated 8/21/2009 10:50:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jd2718@gmail.com writes:

Any single regents examination is sufficient for graduation.

It is clearly NYSED's policy that one commencement level exam must be
passed (Part 100.5.a.5.b.2, key lines clipped, below) and that any of the math
regents count as a commencement level exam (incidentally mentioned in the
Transfer Student Q/A, cited below, among other places).
>From Part 100: (here:
_http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/part100/pages/1005.html#math_ (http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/part100/pages/1005.html#math) )
State assessment system
Except as otherwise provided in subparagraphs (ii), (iii) and (iv) of
this paragraph, all students shall demonstrate attainment of the New York
State learning standards:

Mathematics:
for students who first enter grade nine in September 1997 and thereafter,
by passing a commencement level Regents examination in mathematics. For
purposes of a Regents endorsed diploma a score of 65 shall be considered
passing. For a local diploma a score of 55-64, as determined by the school, also
may be considered passing up through the 2007-2008 school year; or

In the document entitled "TRANSFER STUDENTS Q/As ," available here:
_http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/part100/pages/policytransqainrevision.html_
(http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/part100/pages/policytransqainrevision.html) , the State
writes (incidental to the point they are making):
"These students may also fulfill the mathematics Regents examinations
requirement by passing all three commencement-level Regents Examinations in
Mathematics titled Integrated Algebra (or Mathematics A), Geometry, and
Algebra 2 and Trigonometry." (4/2008)

Jonathan Halabi
HS of American Studies
the Bronx

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Westendorf, Neal
<_nwestendorf@taconichills.k12.ny.us_ (mailto:nwestendorf@taconichills.k12.ny.us) > wrote:

It has been my understanding that student need only pass one exam as is
done in science. The most likely exam would be the Algebra 1.

As I reread the SED
_http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/mst/math/regdipreqmathcht.html_ (http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/mst/math/regdipreqmathcht.html)
chart, I still think this is correct. Note the word 'options' at the top
of the exam column. Students need to pass one of them.

I am curious to see how the weaker students do on the Geometry exam. I can
picture a student who may have great difficulty with the abstract nature
of Algebra but have more comfort, ability and success with the more hands-on
Geometric concepts and step by step nature of proof. It will be
interesting to compare results.

Neal
Taconic Hills HS

From: Jenn <_jennmelcher@yahoo.com_ (mailto:jennmelcher@yahoo.com) >
Subject: Int Alg and Graduation Requirement
To: _nyshsmath@mathforum.org_ (mailto:nyshsmath@mathforum.org)
Date: Friday, August 14, 2009, 6:49 PM

Is it correct to state that passing the Int. Algebra exam is a requirement
to get a regents diploma?

Or will any math regents do?

Thanks

Jenn