Topic: "no slope"
Replies: 35   Last Post: Jan 23, 2010 6:01 PM

MMerwin5@aol.com

Re: "no slope"
att1.html (2.3 K)

I use "no slope" and "zero slope" for horizontal lines. Vertical lines have "undefined slope" and I describe that to my students as "a line that is so steep, its slope cannot be defined".

-----Original Message-----
From: TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Mon, Dec 14, 2009 11:20 am
Subject: "no slope"

This has been bothering me. The textbook we're using (Amsco) states that a horizontal line has "no slope." Is this terminology considered correct? I've found it very misleading for students as slope has a relationship to the real world. If a driveway, street, floor, or carpenter's level showed "no slope", I would expect them to be horizontal, not vertical. There is a number associated with "no": zero. I have no giraffes running around in my classroom. I've told my students in the past that "it's okay to say that there's 'no value for the slope', or to say that the 'slope is undefined.'"

It's only in recent years that I've ever seen "no slope" to describe a vertical line. Anyone care to chime in?

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org

******************************************************************* * To unsubscribe from this mailing list, email the message * "unsubscribe nyshsmath" to majordomo@mathforum.org * * Read prior posts and download attachments from the web archives at * http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumIDg1 *******************************************************************

Date Subject Author
12/14/09
Read "no slope"
Tom Kenyon
12/14/09
Read Re: "no slope"
precopio@nycap.rr.com
12/14/09
Read RE: "no slope"
Roberta Silver
12/14/09
Read Re: RE: "no slope"
steven arnofsky
12/14/09
Read Re: "no slope"
Roberta M. Eisenberg
12/15/09
Read Re: RE: "no slope"
Tony George
12/15/09
Read Re: "no slope"
MathCaryl@aol.com
12/16/09
Read Survey of Math programs in middle/junior high schools in Nassau County (gr 6/7)
Don
12/16/09
Read RE: Survey of Math programs in middle/junior high schools in Nassau County (gr 6/7)
Roberta Silver
12/16/09
Read Re: Survey of Math programs in middle/junior high schools in Nassau
County (gr 6/7)
Robert Hazen
12/18/09
Read Rubik's Cube