Topic: Class Length
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 14, 2010 9:32 PM

cchuttey@sfcs.k12.ny.us

RE: Class Length

In Seneca Falls we have 9 teaching periods in a day. A typical teaching
assignment would be to teach 5 periods plus 1 non-instructional duty.
Something that we started a few years ago for the math department was to
make our "duty" a math lab where students could go to get extra help.
Instead of being assigned to monitor a studyhall, math teachers are
assigned a "math lab" duty during the three lunch periods. Students are
allowed to go to the math lab for extra help from their lunch or from a
studyhall if they have one during a lunch period. There are no students
scheduled into the math labs, it is just for students who attend
voluntarily. It is very well attended!

Our day begins at 7:35 and ends at 2:10. We have an extra-help period
from 2:15 until 2:55 Monday through Thursday that you can assign
students to for extra help. It's not really detention, we call it an
academic assistance period. Classes are all 40 minutes long.

Cindy Chuttey
Mynderse Academy
Seneca Falls, NY 13148